Special Political & Decolonization Issues
Experts: H.E. Embajador José de Jesús Martínez, Ambassador
The IV Committee has 12 agenda items. Its resolutions are adopted by consensus and registered voting.
This Committee examines a variety of political issues, among which stand out:
- Implementation of the Declaration on the Granting of Independence to Colonial Countries and Peoples
- The question of Western Sahara
- The question of Palestine and occupied Arab territories
- Assistance in mine actions
- Effects of atomic radiation
- International cooperation in the peaceful uses of outer space
- Questions relating to information
The process of decolonization has been one of the most outstanding tasks of the United Nations, which has allowed many peoples to achieve independence. The Special Committee of 24 on Decolonization was established in 1961, and has facilitated the decolonization process of over 80 territories. Currently, there are 16 non-self-governing territories.
The question of Western Sahara
The question of Western Sahara is among the United Nations’ initiatives that aims to secure the inalienable right of self-determination to the Saharawi people, on the basis of a politically fair solution that is lasting and mutually acceptable to the involved parties, in accordance to the principles of the United Nations.
The question of Palestine has been on the United Nations’ agenda for over 50 years. The involved parties to the Israel/Palestine conflict have yet to reach a lasting agreement. The United Nations makes a considerable effort to push a peace process that will result in a lasting and peaceful solution. The issue is also examined by the Security Council.
Questions relating to information
Concerning questions relating to information, the work of the Department of Public Information of the United Nations, and all its centers, services and components stands out in the dissemination of information, especially in matters of peace, security, development and human rights that are of key priority.
The Department works in tandem with NGOs and civil society to push forth its extension and outreach activities. Thanks to the Internet and videoconferencing, the Department has been increasingly able to sustain a dialogue with a growing number of youths about issues of their concern.
- Exhibición fotográfica y documental con los aportes de nuestra región, en el marco del 70 aniversario de las Naciones Unidas
- Panamá-Capital Iberoamericana de la Cultura 2019
- Panamá está presente en la novena sesión de la Conferencia de Estados parte de la Convención de los Derechos de las Personas con alguna discapacidad
- Primera Dama comparte con Presidente de Asamblea de Naciones Unidas su labor en la lucha contra el VIH/SIDA
- Coalición de Primeras Damas permitirá movilizar los recursos necesarios para enfrentar el VIH/SIDA
- Primera Dama reitera que empoderamiento de la mujer ayudará avanzar en la lucha contra el VIH/SIDA
- Primer Dama insta a líderes mundiales a aumentar la inversión para combatir el VIH/SIDA
- Panamá se sumará al Mandela Day en beneficio de las comunidades
- Primera Dama pide mayor acceso a los servicios de salud para personas afectadas por el VIH
- Panama Canal Expansion